Carry On Camping Nationwide Campers U.K
April 20, 2024, 10:50:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A big welcome to Jackdaw

Recent Items
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A big welcome to Jackdaw  (Read 354 times)
The Rebel Camper
Administrator
SITE OWNER

The Rebel

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Dave please fell free to jump in as you wish... Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

CARRY ON CAMPING Nationwide Campers UK
http://carryoncamping.smfforfree.com/index.php

FRESH FIELDS CAMPSITE
http://freshfieldscampsite.createaforum.com/index.php

Camping is a leisure activity, and not a political minefield!
Jackdaw
Bronze Member

Level 3 Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I was just about to Grin Grin

I'll start of with a Thanks for the welcome

The family have been camping for many years, most of which we were in a tent.  We moved to a caravan a couple of years ago, and loved parts of it, and didn't enjoy other parts of it.
I decided to build a camping trailer to suit our wants and needs. The children have grown up and we often camp without them, leaving them at home to look after the dog and chickens.

What I loved about the caravan, was the organisation of the kitchen area, with drawers and cupboards to keep everything in. It was so much better than rummaging in boxes for stuff.
I enjoyed sleeping with solid walls, on a foam bed, off the floor. I wasn't so keen on making it up each night and reversing it all in the morning.
The fact we had comfy warm seating and a TV in the caravan meant evenings would be spent sitting watching TV..... something we had never thought about doing as tent campers, and something I wasn't totally at ease with....
The Mrs really liked the porta loo....We didn't have one of those when we were in the tent....

Here's our teardrop, Thypod, Its not for everyone, but it suits us. I built it a couple of years ago, and had many great trips in it.

I'll post up some more photos if anyone's interested in seeing whats been fitted in to a 3mx1.7m trailer.

I hope we can get to a meet some time.

Cheers Dave

The Rebel Camper
Administrator
SITE OWNER

The Rebel

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:18 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

That has got to be..... a great rig you have, and ill bet it gets people talking..lol  Dave.. this is the first teardrop that has joined us, and im sure you will feel very relaxed with us... im sure youll get a hand with the polishing...  Im sure SHAZZA.. ( She dreams of these...lol ) will be the first to offer a hand... unfortunatley we have had our caravan written off recently, so we are back into tenting for a while, but we just carry on.... camping lol

Regards
Fred

FRESH FIELDS CAMPSITE

Jo Parker
LOYALTY AWARD

INTELLIGENCE COMES NATURALY

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Welcome Jackdaw, hope to see you on a rally some time. would love to have a peep (nose) inside your Teardrop Grin
We are a friendly bunch, no airs or graces here (no hair either some of them Grin)

Indian name  "Standing Rock"
LaughingHeart
Sometimes I sits and thinks...Sometimes, I just sits!
Administrator
LOYALTY AWARD

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:58:50 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

A big welcome from me too!
What a gret rig!....I am totally jelous! What's more, I am in awe of your super choice of camping stye! I am sure you two camperholics will be 'At home' on COC/NWC.
Paol.

Free PA for charity events.     Proud to be part of all this carryoncamping lark!
http://carryoncamping.smfforfree.com
SHAZZA
Administrator
LOYALTY AWARD

"Life walker"

Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

The Rebel is right, I would be keen to see that up close?

Any plans...how did you build that? Did you model it on a normal trailer axle or???

Lot's of questions I will ask when we get to meet. I'm a handy kind of girl and could see myself building one of those!

2011 Swift Corniche 15/4
Indian Name - LifeWalker
LaughingHeart
Sometimes I sits and thinks...Sometimes, I just sits!
Administrator
LOYALTY AWARD

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sharron, ...........Remind me to give you a set of spanners if and when we meet.  I can picture you drooling all over Jackdaws nice shiny unit.....Jackdaw?....Shiny thing!  Fits perfectly! [As I know they will!]
Paol. Grin

Free PA for charity events.     Proud to be part of all this carryoncamping lark!
http://carryoncamping.smfforfree.com
Jackdaw
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:06 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the warm welcomes Grin Grin Now please excuse the long post, but I hope you enjoy it Grin
I've built the trailer on a shortened caravan chassis. It had been written off, so you may be off to a start Rebel Wink. All the plans were free off the net, and theres some great teardrop forums that are more than happy to help out with tips , where to get stuff and all that.
I've really enjoyed building the trailer, and when I started off it was going to be a simple shelf in the back, and a bed in the front, with a bit of storage. Then I got to thinking about what I could fit in....
So here we go.. a little tour of the trailer....
In the cabin, at the head of the 5'8" wide bed, we have storage lockers where we keep the little awning, chocks for the wheels, towels, the door mat, fan heater (that we've never used)and a load of other stuff that doesn't get used very often.
Above the lockers is a shelf, with reading lights either side. The rear speakers for the surround sound are mounted just under the end of the shelves.

We've fitted a skylight above the middle of the bed, with a small strip light either side. Theres a small shelf either side of the trailer, with a tall mirror under the shelf on Rosie's side.

At the back of the cabin we have three cupboards. We use one's each side to keep clothes in, and the centre one is home for the TV. Under the cupboard is another shelf that has the surround sound Dolby amp, satellite receiver, and DVD player  

Theres another  narrow shelf under the entertainment shelf .
The back of the trailer is home for the galley.

Here it is in it's packed up state. The worktop sits on the hob/ sink unit, and tea, coffee and sugar sits in front of the oven.

In the galley we have a three way fridge, with a 240v small oven and grill above it. I've set in a stainless steel dish in the top above the back of the fridge, that works as a food warmer using the heat produced from the fridge. The top shelf has the bread bin, gas kettle, plate and cup storage, cutlery tray, and plastic glass storage. The12v management zig unit is just behind the glasses. The pumped water comes from a tap fitted to a shower hose, fitted under the shelf. The idea was to be able to fill the kettle with the worktop sill stored. It's ideal for the morning cuppa.

We re-used the gas hob/grill/and sink unit from a donor caravan, and added deep stainless storage dishes behind it to store dry foods like pasta meals and savory rice. Under the storage is where we keep the 12v battery and charger unit.
Under the gas grill is a deep storage drawer for pots and pans and other kitchen utensils. Beside the drawer/grill is a small cupboard under the sink for bottles, tins, and the washing up liquid of course. The larger cupboard on the right is where we keep the porta loo.
We have two double sockets in the galley, and a bank of 12 volt sockets too.
There are a couple of 12v strip lights for when you need to see what you're doing, and a couple of blue led rope lights to give a softer light . The checker plate in the next photo has since been changed for stainless steel.

There isn't any room inside the teardrop for the loo, and it's often handy to have somewhere dry to store the chairs, coats and shoes/boots. We cut an old dome tent in half and stitched in an awning webbing strip to create a little ensuite/ cloakroom.

We house the water containers at the back, and the coats can be hung on the side of the trailer.

You may have guessed by now these trailers are highly addictive and I'm a masive trailer junkie. The year after building this one I built another smaller trailer for my daughter to tow behind her Lupo. if you'd like to see how it came about , have a look at the slide show

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/thejackdaw/2009%20build/?albumview=slideshow

I'm getting very close to finnishing our new trailer, but the summer months are for camping , so there's been very little progress since the birth .

We do get loads of attention at festivals and some campsites. But we have some camp sites that know us well, and we can chill without giving too many tours per day. It's nice to let inquisitve folk see what they want to.

I hope to get to one of your gatherings some time Grin

Dave

The Rebel Camper
Administrator
SITE OWNER

The Rebel

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

What can I say.... AWESOME... If anyone is intrested... ill put up board for Teardrops...lol

FRESH FIELDS CAMPSITE

SHAZZA
Administrator
LOYALTY AWARD

"Life walker"

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:33 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

watched the film strip of the copper alu/ I am smitten. Kiss

How long does something like that take to build and cost? How do you source the materials? You certainly know what you are doing.

Just one question, how do you seal the joining seams along the edges, are they riveted like an air stream or something else?

You have an understanding OH with doing joinery in the conservatory!  Wink

Hope we get to see you soon on a meet.

2011 Swift Corniche 15/4
Indian Name - LifeWalker
Jackdaw
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:23 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

watched the film strip of the copper alu/ I am smitten. Kiss

How long does something like that take to build and cost? How do you source the materials? You certainly know what you are doing.

Just one question, how do you seal the joining seams along the edges, are they riveted like an air stream or something else?

You have an understanding OH with doing joinery in the conservatory!  Wink

Hope we get to see you soon on a meet.

Shazza the Coppertop was a very enjoyable and simple build. I started building in March last year, and we had our first camping trip in August , but I had other things going on at the same time and camping trips in our trailer that slowed the build down. It's simple in as much as there's no 12v/ 240v gas or plumbing. The wires are all fitted so we could put some leccy in later.
As I had the chassis left over from the first build donor van. the cost was not huge. probably less than £500 .

All the seems are over lapped and sealed with silkaflex sealer.The trim hold the aluminium on, and the copper roof has a few copper nails tacked into the sides where it's dressed over the sides.

I do have a very understanding OH  Grin I asked Rosie if I could draw out the profiles in the conservatory as it was horrible outside.... and I got a bit carried away. Then I was only going to put a couple of bit together in the back garden, and got a bit carried away. We don't have any vehicular access to the back garden, so I had to take it all apart to carry it through to the front drive and put it back together. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I didn't have that problem with the third build Grin Grin I built it inside a caravan on the front drive  Grin Grin

Here's the photo album of my current build. hopefully I'll get it finished off in time for our teardroptrailer gathering in the Forest of Dean 17th-19th September

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/thejackdaw/Teardrop%20%203/?start=all

I managed to build the teardrop inside the caravan on a couple of bread creat trollys, and then we had a day for the birth. I moved the axel forward on the chassis and used it for the teardrop.
I couldn't let the moment pass without filming it. click on the caravan and check it out Grin Grin Carry on camping  Grin Grin

I do hope you like it Grin Grin

SHAZZA
Administrator
LOYALTY AWARD

"Life walker"

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I do like it.

I love to read about all this kind of stuff. What were the washing machine drums used for though, couldn't quite work that one out?

You'll definitely have to tell me all about it when we all meet.

2011 Swift Corniche 15/4
Indian Name - LifeWalker
The Rebel Camper
Administrator
SITE OWNER

The Rebel

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:22 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I must say... I am really impressed with the build... it has become a talking point with Lorraine and I....

Lorraine says that she couldnt get dressed in one... I say its for sleeping in, 

well there is definatley something going on here.... lol 

FRESH FIELDS CAMPSITE

Jackdaw
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I must say... I am really impressed with the build... it has become a talking point with Lorraine and I....

Lorraine says that she couldnt get dressed in one... I say its for sleeping in, 

well there is definatley something going on here.... lol 

We're still young enough to get dressed on the bed, but there's plenty of standing room in madams ensuite aka the side tent.

I'd love to do a meet, but we're booked up this year. Will definately do one next year.

Our last camp out with the teardrop will be in the Forest of Dean 17-19th September.... then it becomes caravan season for us LOL
We're meeting up with some other teardroppers in the Forest, and if any one would like to join us , you'd be made very welcome. You don't have to have a teardrop... tents and caravans welcome. It's going to be our bigger trailer meet to date with over 10 funky trailers comming. Most are home built, but some are comercial... we like all sorts  Grin Grin

The Rebel Camper
Administrator
SITE OWNER

The Rebel

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

It would be great to play catch up Dave... Please let us know where you are, some of us will TRY to catch up with you, im sure....

FRESH FIELDS CAMPSITE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
  Link to Calendar  
Jump to: